A Call From the Universe

The dreaded AP title. It wasn't as bad as it was cut out to be. At least, my book wasn't. I finished The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper and that brings my number of books that I've read to six. I finally read an AP title, and a lot of thought went into choosing this particular book, or rather coincidences. For starters, I am 1/512 Native American. Can't you tell? This has a lot to do with the book considering it takes place during the French and Indian War. The next thing that happened, which I didn't quite understand at the time, occurred through the radio. I was listening in the car when I heard someone mention something in comparison to The Last of the Mohicans. The next day, I asked Ms. Mayo if I could borrow a book and I saw a small book in the corner with some Indians killing each other with little axes. It was then that I realized the universe was trying incredibly hard to get me to read this book, so I complied.

To be honest about this book, it was a rough read. Not only was the dialogue tough to follow, the author never really described much of a setting. It felt like we jumped straight into the action. It was too quick because I hardly had any time to adjust to all the new characters added in like Heyward, and Chingachgook, and Munro, and Magua and for the longest time I could not tell the sisters apart. The first thing I observed while reading this book was the people were being too accepting of others. Cora, the younger sister, didn't want to judge Magua just because he was different. While discussing the topic, Cora stated that they should not "Distrust the man because his manners are not our manners, and that his skin is dark" (11). I understand she was trying to be nice and have everyone accept him but I am just surprised that no one, IN THE YEAR 1757, would doubt this guy or where he came from. Forget about why Indians were called Savages and don't bother remembering that Natives loved scalping people for fun. Just forget all that. It just didn't seem realistic to me that they would so readily accept someone as a guide into a place they knew nothing of. Other than this, I thought the plot development was believable with nothing too fishy (although the rescuing scenes were a tad lucky).

I am not a huge fan of romance in books and I would prefer if they saved that for movies, but the author used it surprisingly well to drive the main characters. Reading books with romance in them is a death wish for me. It's not necessarily that I don't like it, I just can't help but fall asleep every time the words "kiss" or "love" pop up. However, what kept me reading this book, instead of dozing off, was the constant excitement from the story and how you couldn't quite tell what new drastic event would befall the main characters. I think the signs from the universe were trying to tell me to change my lifestyle and be a little bit more like this book. Instead of the regular day-to-day routine, I should add a sense of unpredictability to my life. Or maybe I mistook the universe for Ms. Mayo, just trying to get me to read a book. Either way, it was worth it.

Comments

Post a Comment